We believe beauty, wellness, and wisdom to be inextricably linked. Part of ensuring our wellness is being wise to the benefits and hazards of the beauty products we use daily.
We’re no experts, though, which is why we’ve turned to Dr. Frank Lipman (read more about Dr. Lipman here), integrative doctor, physician, and practitioner, and friend to ABC Home on the subject. Adapted from two blog posts from his website, read what Dr. Lipman recommends in terms of being well and wise in regards to beauty, below!
DR. FRANK LIPMAN:
To achieve optimal health and create sustainable wellness, it is imperative that you become aware of not only what you are putting in and around your body, but also, what you put on it. Between shampoos, toothpaste, face creams, deodorant, cosmetics and so on, most people are voluntarily dousing themselves daily with multiple chemicals, carcinogens and mutagens, adding to their toxic loads and setting the stage for illness and disease. Seems like kind of a crazy habit, doesn’t it?
According to the Environmental Working Group, the average American is exposed to more than a hundred different chemicals from personal care products every day. Some of these chemicals are linked to cancer, birth defects, learning disabilities and other health problems that are epidemic in our society.
Some recommendations on how to stay well:
1. Avoid products that contain diethanolamine (DEA) and triethanolamine (TEA) and that contain the preservatives imidazolidinyl urea and quarternium 15.
2. Look for skin care lines that are formulated with fewer dangerous ingredients, such as Tammy Fender.
3. To cut exposure, use makeup sparingly, and only on the days you think you “need” it and not at all on the weekends. When you get home from work, take your makeup off right away – don’t wait till bedtime.
4. Trade in your high-end perfumes and colognes for plant-based essential oils.
5. Opt for natural hair colorings like henna and other plant-based formulas.
Luckily, we have a wide variety of apothecary products that fall into this criteria (simply put, its all of our product!). Thus, heeding Dr. Lipman’s advice, we’ve rounded up soaps, creams, cleansers, and sprays for all parts of your body that help you look good and are good for you. Beautiful, well, and wise. Shop below.