Personal style, celebrated: this is the basis of Andrea Linett’s blog, I Want To Be Her! In her neatly designed website, Andrea highlights the styles of regular women, dissecting each component of their look from head to toe. It is a simple formula, really, but highly readable: she clearly relishes celebrating the nuances that make each woman’s look unique, affirming our philosophy that style (and design) should always be a deeply personal endeavor.
We were understandably curious to learn more about Andrea’s own aesthetic (she is currently eBay Fashion’s creative director) and when we heard she was known to wander to our store, we knew it was a perfect fit. Of ABC Carpet & Home Andrea comments, “It’s like the most high-end fantasy flea market; a true wonderland!” As such, we connected with her to discuss design, ABC, and her “claim to fame”… Read her interview, below.
ABC REVEAL: I Want To Be Her! is all about sharing the inspiring fashion choices of regular women you know – and the street styles of women who you don’t! In terms of home design and decorating, where do you draw inspiration? Is it similarly “voyeuristic”?
ANDREA LINNETT: I think all inspiration is somewhat voyeuristic. You either see something in a magazine, store or someone else’s home and make it your own. I think a lot of it is unconscious too. We’re bombarded with so many images everyday that who knows where something is coming from?
ABCR: The “Andrea Linett look,” style-wise, seems a touch bohemian. Does your home reflect this?
AL: That’s funny. I hear that a lot. I used to wear more “bohemian” pieces like Indian print hippie tops, but in reality, I wear skinny rocker pants or jeans, t-shirts and blazers everyday. Maybe it’s my hair? Having said that, my home would fit that description somewhat – I have lots of Moroccan pieces and candles everywhere. But it’s not like it looks like an opium den!
Andrea’s ABC Carpet & Home Picks
1. Block print pillow. I’ve always been drawn to Indian block prints. They look so great on a bed.
2. Modern Menorah. I love the clean shape and wooden base. I’d keep it out all year.
3. Tom Dixon Jack Light. I’m always drawn to interesting lighting. This lamp doubles as sculpture. So great!
4. Gary Graham coat. I’m a huge fan of Gary’s (my claim to fame is that he made my wedding dress!). This piece is so special, it’s the kind of thing you’ll have for years and pass on to the next generation. It’s the perfect mix of antique ethnic and modern-day rock ‘n roll. Amazing!
5. Postman bag. I love this bag for its simplicity and great shape. I also always like the juxtaposition of a summery canvas bag in winter.
ABCR: What are some of your essential design pieces or items you find yourself consistently coveting?
AL: I love Moroccan rugs and pillows, dark wood, mid-century modern stuff.
ABCR: Illustration is often integrated into your blog. Are you an artwork collector?
AL: I wouldn’t say I collect art, but I do have lots of old oil paintings and the Avedon prints of the Beatles (all from eBay), modern lithographs, and old black and white photos of Mick Jagger and Joni Mitchell. One of my favorites is Joni and Graham Nash caught in a sweet, intimate moment. I just mix it all up and hope it works!
We’re sure it does. Thanks for chatting, Andrea!